Happy Sunday! I hope everyone had a great week. Mine was b u s y! I had back to back meetings all day, every day, it was kind of awful? I took Friday off and we drove up to Thousand Oaks to go to a ‘Pick your Own’ farm which was super fun!
I bet you all had a great week because TAYLOR ALISON SWIFT DROPPED A SURPRISE ALBUM, what e v e n. If you haven’t heard it (I don’t know why that would be), you can buy it here. It’s sonically cohesive and beautifully written, and I love every song. I think my favorite song is ‘invisible string’ because I’m a simple cute love song kind of gal. Also, here’s a video for the song “Cardigan,” which makes me want to become a fairy in the forest. Any other Swifties in the house?
Y’all I made these Strawberry Glazed Chai Donuts with the strawberries we picked and oh. my. laaawd. I love chai everything and the strawberries were bursting with flavor, together it is magic. I did add too much flour (oops) so these turned out more bread-nut than dough-nut, but the flavor is what matters, right?
My flady hero of the week is AOC. If you missed her powerful speech (I’m concerned are you living under a rock?), here it is in all its glory. Background: Rep. Yoho allegedly called her a ‘fuxking bich,’ and she decided to speak out about it, because otherwise, the behavior would continue to be allowed. I love how graceful and dignified she was as she spoke, it was inspiring to see her stand up for herself and essentially all women. My favorite quote that I want tattooed on my face is:
“Having a daughter does not make a man decent. Having a wife does not make a decent man. Treating people with dignity and respect makes a decent man, and when a decent man messes up as we are all bound to do, he tried his best and does apologise. Not to save face, not to win a vote, he apologises genuinely to repair and acknowledge the harm done so that we can all move on.”
Did you know the internet generates carbon so every email you send or receive is impacting the earth? Makes you want to take the time to hit that ‘unsubscribe’ button for brands you no longer shop at, OR re-evaluate if this meeting could be an email!
To all my Americans, 100 days until the election people!! I am a voter is a great resource to register, or check if you’re registered, sign up for reminders, etc. We need to get out and vote in all elections, both local and federal. Our nation is falling apart (see Portland, Seattle, etc) and we need leaders across the board to step it up or know that they will get voted out.
We watched Palm Springs on Hulu this week and while I am very much over the ‘Caddy Shack’ plot, this movie was actually, funny, cute and a surprise twist I did not see coming. Overall, would recommend watching, especially if you’re an Andy Samberg fan!
Happy Sunday all! I had a rough day yesterday (just overall bored and sick of being stuck inside), but we went to the Farmer’s Market this AM and then I went to the pool for a bit before it got too busy. It was so nice to just do a few things outside of our apartment! What are you all doing to stay sane during these times? I truly feel like quarantine has been a roller coaster of emotions, where some days are very high and others are low. Here are 7 things that I discovered this week…
1. As a reminder, deadlines are approaching for registering to vote. Here’s a helpful guide of all things you need to know because it’s your duty to get out and V O T E!
2. This week I learned about Glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup (weed killer) and how traces of it can be found in our food, even after processing (yuck). Here’s a list of cereals and oat based foods to avoid where traces of Glyphosate were found.
3. For any New Girl fans, here’s a summary of why fans are still obsessed with Nick Miller, a man who “sets the bar so incredibly high and yet so unbelievably low for men.” Anyone Team Nick? I’m truly Team Schmidt but have a deep love for both Nick and Winston as well.
4. Down to Earth with Zac Efron is a new show on Netflix that I would highly recommend watching! It’s very informational and they do a great job of showcasing other nations who are kicking ass at being sustainable and how the U.S. is severely lacking in sustainable planet saving efforts.
6. I’m pretty new to clean beauty, but I’ve recently discovered Credo Beauty and I’m obsessed! It is so great to see a store taking a stand to only sell brands that have clean cosmetics. I’ve been tempted to try Beauty Counter as well, has anyone tried?
During these tremulous times, I truly hope every single one of you is staying safe and doing well. I have been horrified by the events in Minneapolis and the senseless deaths of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, and other acts of violence against the Black community.
I am no expert and have benefitted my entire life from being swaddled in white privilege. As I educate myself and learn how to use my privilege to help those around me, I can only hope you are doing something similar to help better the world for those around you, especially in the Black community.
I’ve linked some things that I’ve been finding helpful/interesting, I hope they’ll be useful to you in your life.