After 3 days in London, we were off to Amsterdam. We stayed in uptown, where Vondelpark and the Rijks reside. While in Uptown, we enjoyed a stroll through Vondelpark as well as a few hours in the Rijksmuseum. I would highly recommend going to see the famous art museum; however, we spent about three hours there and only got through 1 and 1/2 floors.
Unfortunately, on the 2nd day, I got food poisoning and very much did not enjoy getting lost in Amsterdam. The city, specifically downtown, is quite confusing with canals; however, it is extremely magnificent and I often find myself thinking about the beauty of the winding canals around the whole city.
Of course we found the Fault in our Stars bench, like did you think I would thousands of miles across the world and not stop at the bench where Hazel and Augustus sat?! We also stopped by the floating flower market, ate stroopwafel and finally found the Anne Frank House. Would highly recommend pre-buying your tickets online, as we stood in line for over an hour.
- If you’re traveling to Amsterdam, I would either go with a tour group or pre-plan the heck out of this trip. We wasted so much time wandering around, literally lost. It haunts me the number of things we probably didn’t get to see or do because we were wandering around trying to find a place or attraction.
- Take a canal boat tour, we did ours at night and it was so beautiful to see the city all lit up!
- Tulips are not in season in the fall, if that’s what you wanted to see (major bummer)
- We didn’t participate in the, err, coffee shops, but if that’s what you’re into, they’re literally everywhere. Can get pre-rolled or loose. Whichever you fancy.
- We stayed at the Flying Pig Uptown Hostel, would definitely recommend. They do city walking tours and have a decent free brunch to start your day!